Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Do people really notice facial symmetry in photos or when meeting a person?

In the scientific community, there is all this hype about the majority of people considering symmetrical faces as more attractive or beautiful. But I wonder how many of us actually notice facial symmetry when looking at another's face. I've never noticed it, have you? To me almost every face seems symmetrical. I never notice anyone's face looking different on the left and right sides. I think it has more to do with an individual preference towards certain facial features. For example, some people may not like certain shaped noses, lips or facial shapes. To conclude, I think this talk about facial symmetry is bullshit because who notices a person's facial symmetry anyway? What do you think?Do people really notice facial symmetry in photos or when meeting a person?
its a subconcious thing.





you wouldnt meet someone and automatically notice their un-even features and think ';right, i dont like them now';





you're not concious of that thought process, its just something that happens without you realising.





like you can look at two different faces, that both have brown eyes, brown hair, tanned skin and plump lips, and one could be really ugly and one could be stunning. you couldnt say either way what defines those characteristics, because its a subconsious realisation of features.. apparently symetrical faces are one of the characteristics that define beauty.





=]Do people really notice facial symmetry in photos or when meeting a person?
I think it's a subconcious thing...but yes, we do notice symmetry. I think it's an instinctual thing that helps us decide who's better (mate-wise) than someone else. We don't knowingly say ';hey, I think his right eye is a millimeter higher than his left eye,'; but we do get an inkling about it somewhere in our brains...even if it's unconciously.
I think there are a lot of little things that we don't ';notice'; but which we find attractive.





For example, I know that sweat is not something I really consider hot, but every now and then, I run into a girl that's been excercising a lot, and for some reason, I start thinking she's really hot. Why? because even though I don't ';like'; sweat, some body odors actually do attract me. (Please, don't use this as an excuse to stop bathing and using deodorant, it only works for a few people!)





Some girls pile on the makeup until they resemble Marylin Monroe, or some other famous person that I think is really sexy, but I find them to be a turn off. Why? I don't know, I appreciate their effort, and I think it's pretty, but I'd never try to hump a wax sculpture, so maybe hiding the fact that they have pores kills the desire.





Is symmetry bullshit? I don't know, but I do know that there are a lot of stranger things we never notice, but which strongly alter our perception of others, especially on whether or not we consider them to be ';attractive'; and ';beautiful.';
I think I do. For example, I have always thought something was weird about Paris Hilton's face ( I am not a fan of hers, but she has a well known face so I am using her as an example). I am specifically talking about her eyes. Turns out I read an article somewhere that she has an eyelid that sags and gives her one eye the appearance of being part closed.


Also, I have always thought Angie Harmon has one eye that looks in a slightly different direction and it distracts me. I also know about a half dozen people with asymmetrical features like eyebrows, lips, and one friend has lopsided ears.





These things don't make people less attractive, but I do think that people notice them.
It is my opinion that yes we do. The catch is that we don't know that it is the symmetry that we like. The big things are the space between your eyes, how far your eyes are from you nose and mouth, the size of your hears in comparision with other things. Granted these things you do not think about but do you ever wonder why you might like 3 different people and they have some of these things in common with one another?
My boyfriends left ear is higher than the right but I NEVER noticed it until he told me! So, unless it's REALLY off no...people don't notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment